Monday, March 19, 2012

The Lady of the Rivers

Right now I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book "The Lady of the Rivers" by Philippa Gregory, author of "The Other Boleyn Girl" (an excellent book) and so many others.

I think Philippa Gregory is a master at historical fiction, but The Lady of the Rivers is falling a little flat for me.  It's a good book, but not a top book for me.  Why?  Well, it's just not full of as much "action" as I'd like.  It has too much narrative about, well, a lot of boring "war" stuff between France and England and their monarchs.  I prefer a LOT more private life information.  I like following the people far more than the history.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE history in all forms, but in this story, it feels particularly heavy on the side of circumstances rather than individuals.  Read it and discover for yourself.  You may feel the exact opposite. ;)

I've just cracked open another book called "The Secret Lives of Dresses" by Erin McKean, so it's too soon to comment, but I will share my thoughts when I finish.  Yes, I tend to read 1 or 2 books at a time.  I read one in the car while waiting at the school for my youngest son, and the other in the evening if I get a break. 

I love knowing I have a book to read at all times.  I feel off center when I don't have any reading material on hand either hard copy or through my kindle. It's the same with my novel writing.  If I don't write for too many days in a row, I'm a mess.  I feel "low", but as soon as I get back to the writing, I feel on top of the world.  Like a drug!  A writing drug!! lol 

No comments:

Post a Comment